THIRTY NINE

"Prove it," such simple words but as every day passes, it becomes harder for Alexander to decode its meaning. How else is he to prove how much he loves her? He thought ordering his security to never let Liza into his house and company is proving it. The flowers every morning at her doorstep, sleeping in his car just outside her house every day, the daily words of affirmation he texts to her every morning and night before she goes to bed, isn't that proving it?

The fear of the break becoming permanent is running through Xander's thoughts and these fears are slowly eating him up. Usually, he keeps busy when emotionally stressed, but it's different now, he doesn't want to do anything. So he didn't. Today, he didn't send flowers and he also didn't stop by at her place at night. He stayed home and got drunk. 

Cara knew today was different when she didn't receive any flowers but she tried not be worked up about after all she has been told severally by the doctors that she needs to rest. But it's night time and currently, Cara is standing by her window looking out at the empty street which use to host Alexander's car and she can't help but get worked up.

These past weeks his efforts have not gone unnoticed, there are sometimes she that to push her worries aside and feels the warmth of his embrace but she had to remember how she felt every time he fell for Liza's tricks.

What if he got tired? What if she overdid it? Maybe something has happened to him, all these thoughts run through Cara's head as she paces in her room. She pauses when a different thought comes to her head, just as she is about to text him about his whereabouts.

What if this is his plan to make her break and talk to him?

She decides to call Xavier to know if he is okay, so she does.

"Hello," Xavier's voice comes on at the end of the line.

It's not only Xander she misses, she has missed Xavier as well. She hasn't seen him in a while and it makes her sad because he is like a brother her. Usually, they get to see each other every day at the mansion but now it's different.  He can't come over especially with the breakup tension between Xavier and Cassie. She has to be sensitive to her best friend's feelings.

"Hi," Cara says softly, feeling guilty that she is calling him for a favor after not speaking to him for days.

"It's been long," Xavier says.

Cara nods even though he cannot see her.

Screw this! She is just going to come out and ask him.

"Have you seen Xander today?"

"No, I guess he is not outside your window right now, is he?"

"Yeah," Cara mutters. "Are you at home?"

"No, I haven't been at home since morning. I am shooting late this night but I will be home in a few hours. I will send you a text when I find him." Xavier says.

"Thank you so much, Xavier." Cara appreciates.

The two stayed silent for a few seconds, still on the call.

"I miss you," Xavier mutters.

"I miss you too," Cara says with a small smile on her face before hanging up.

~~~~

"Welcome back, Sir." Jonathan greets Xavier as he walks into the house.

"Where is Alex?" Xavier asks, removing his coat.

"By the pool, He is drunk," Jonathan says, taking Xavier's coat.

"Thanks," Xavier mutters as he walks towards the direction of the backyard. He stops by the glassed door where he can see through. Xander is sitting on the pavement, his legs in the pool, and a bottle of beer in his hand.