I'm a scientist writing science fiction and fantasy.
Recently finshed my entry for the Open Novella Contest "Moebius 2157", a dystopian SciFi story dealing with the intricacies of time travel. Feedback always welcome!
- "Against the Tide", a space opera featuring pirates, cyborgs and lots of explosions.
- "The 10th Circle - Abyss", SciFi-Fantasy mystery set in a utopian post-apocalyptic world in which things are not as they seem.
Currently working on:
- my personal challenge to write a short story for each month in 2019, to be published in "Shots in the Dark"
- slow updates on "Dreams in Monochrome", a cyberpunk-themed prequel to "Against the Tide"
- drafting a first version of The 10th Circle - Sin.
Many of my stories revolve around questions about the human mind/theory of mind, consciousness, dreaming, and a sense of self. I am a molecular biologist with some neuroscience background, and beyond that I am deeply fascinated by computer science (mainly artificial intelligence) and cognitive biology. All these topics influence my stories. I have a particular interest in portraying scientists as multi-faceted, interesting characters, beyond the "evil" and "mad" tropes.
Relationships, from friendship to love and anything in between, usually play a big role in my stories. I like to throw my characters into intense situations, since I like to write about feelings - perhaps to compensate the fact that I have a rather hard time expressing them in real life. My writing is cathartic, but not autobiographic. There is a little bit of me in most of my major characters - usually their quirks and neuroses :)
I love descriptive and romantic (in the sense of romanticism, not romance) writing. I know that this is not everybody's cup of tea, but I try to follow the advice 'Write the story you would like to read'.
- behind the veil | currently: Melbourne, AUS
- JoinedSeptember 11, 2017