Thug for Life. A Mindless Behavior Love Story.

I was tired. I was done. My mom was spending all of our small income on street drugs and my biological dad was dead. I had no choice but to start providing for myself.  

With a sigh, I opened my closet and rummaged around until I found a decent outfit. I grabbed a pair of Jordan's and slid on a solid black hoodie, a pair of dark gray jeans, and pulled my hair into a high bun. Grabbing my cheap phone, I unlocked it to check the time. It was 12:24 a.m. on a humid Saturday night. Nonetheless, it was a night that was going to change things forever. 

I left home home. The image of my mom sprawled out on the living room sofa under a heavy set man I'd never met was the last thing I seen before I closed the door to our rented home. Walking down 8th avenue, I tried to rid my mind of the image and the circumstances surrounding it. However, I knew where our rent money came from. The images not only haunt me, but the sounds often awaken me on school nights, hence; I never like to be at home after dark when the rent is approaching. 

I scaled all of 8th avenue until I ended up on the intersection of 8th and 14th. Standing with his back against one of the few street lights was a familiar face. 

''Aye yo, Spot!'' I called from across the street. He didn't turn at first, it was apart of his nature to be cautious. ''Spot'' I yelled louder. This time he turned. ''Hey, Kay? What are you doing out here?'' he half whispered.

 I simply stood with my legs and arms both crossed.He knew if I simply couldn't sleep I would not have came here. 

He looked me up and down. 

''Tell me you not getting in the game'' he asked. 

He knew that I'd been struggling financially. No job around would work with me being in school. The summer jobs at the local grocery stores around us didn't hire kids for fear that we'd steal and the ones in the nicer neighborhoods  usually went to the white kids whose parents and relatives owned the damn stores.

 ''Listen you got brains! You make all A's! Yo-'' I cut him off. 

''I don't have money! You need money to survive here, Spot, and you fuckin' know that! I don't want to, I have to.'' I bellowed looking dead in his eyes. 

He bit his lip and cracked a slight smirk. "Alright."

"We gone get you in tomorrow. For now, just stay with me, alright?'' he told me. He tilted his head up, his hand followed signaling me to follow him. 

We started walking towards the hub of the city's night life. I've seen many men in the slang, but only a few women. The majority of females resorted to prostitution as they weren't taken seriously selling. Spot, however, walked through the city with his head up. By association,I would be taken seriously, right? 

We stoped in front of this old storage building. Both the building and the part of town were unfamiliar to me. 

''Where are we?'' I asked Spot. 

''The question is where are we not.'' he spoke back in an attempt to seem deep. 

''We aren't in church I know that much.'' I said rolling my eyes. Spot just laughed as he led me through a long trail of discarded crates and containers. 

Spot stopped and  knocked on a makeshift door, said some type of code, and then walked into the building. It was one big open room with about 10 other people in it.Quickly, I noticed that there were  only two other girls. Spot found a spot to sit next to one of the girls and I claimed a spot next to him. I looked around at the individuals in the room. It seemed like I had all eyes on me. 

''Yo Spot, this yo girl?'' A dude with a light brown afro asked.

 ''Nah, she's like my little sister." he responded.